Northern New England Society of Addiction Medicine
2018, 8th Annual Scientific Conference & Business Meeting
ADDICTION MEDICINE CURRENT ISSUES / TIMELY TOPICS
(This activity has been approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.)
November 2 & 3, 2018
(Friday evening, all day Saturday)
Trapp Family Lodge, Stowe, Vermont
A Little Of Austria…A Lot Of Vermont
Who should attend: Physicians and other health care professionals seeking up-to-date information about addiction issues affecting their patients. Practitioners interested in networking with other regional addiction professionals.
- Learn how we, as treatment providers, can influence public perception and policy re: SUD.
- Understand an up-to-date protocol for alcohol detox of an out-pt. in a residential setting.
- Learn the concept of getting an OD patient into treatment before leaving the ER.
- Understand better the value of 12-Step / self-help programs.
- Understand “harm reduction” w/ pros and cons of legal safe injection sites and needle exchange.
- Understand the role of Professional Health Programs in treatment and support of impaired professionals.
- Understand the complex concerns of in-pt. treatment of NAS and a family-centered approach to ongoing healthy recovery of mother and infant
TENTATIVE CONFERENCE SCHEDULE
ADDICTION MEDICINE – CURRENT ISSUES ( & some controversies )
5:00 – 6:00 PM Welcome Reception / Registration w/ buffet
6:00 – 6:30 PM Michael Venn – talk by the filmmaker, followed by the acclaimed film
6:30 – 8:00 PM Film – The Heroin Effect – perspective in New Hampshire
7:00 – 9:00 AM Buffet Breakfast
7:45 – 9:00 AM Annual Business Meeting for NNESAM members
9:10 – 10:40 AM Outpatient Alcohol Detox in a residential center in Maine
Non-CIWA Protocol for Scheduled Benzodiazepines for Alcohol Withdrawal
- Dr. Schaffer
10:50 – 11:50 AM Initiating Buprenorphine in the Emergency Room
- Randy Knight, MD
11:50 – 12:35 PM Lunch
12:35 – 1:35 PM What Medical Practitioners Need to Know about 12 Step Recovery
- Tom Allan, LCSW, LADC, CCS
1:45 – 2:45 PM Harm Reduction – Needle Exchange – Safe Injection Sites – The Vermont experience
- Grace Keller, MA
2:55 – 3:55 PM Vermont Professionals Health Program
- Lisa Lambert, MD
4:05 – 5:35 PM Opioid-exposed Newborns – a Baby-Friendly, Family-centered approach
The American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) designates: This activity has been approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint sponsorship of the American Society of Addiction Medicine and the Northern New England Society of Addiction Medicine. The American Society of Addiction Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Conference Faculty and Planning Committee Disclosure Information
- James Berry, MD No disclosures
- Mark Bucksbaum, MD No disclosures
- Judy Burk, MD No disclosures
- Earl Freeman, DO No disclosures
- Audrey Kern, MD No disclosures
- Todd Mandell, MD No disclosures
- Mark Publicker, MD No disclosures
- Deborah Wachtel, DNP No disclosures
- Tom Allan No disclosures
- Bruce Campbell, LCSW, LADC No disclosures
- Julia Frew, MD No disclosures
- Daisy Goodman, DNP, CNW No disclosures
- Grace Keller, BA No disclosures
- Randolph Knight, MD Vermont Medical Society: independent contractor
- Lisa Lambert, MD No disclosures
- W. Allen Schaffer, MD Community Health & Counseling Services, Maine: employee
- Bonny Whalen, MD No disclosures
To register by mail, download a printable PDF version of this brochure:
Use the button below to register online and pay with secure checkout
Refund policy: requests for refunds will be considered on a case by case basis.
Direct all inquiries to:
c/o Judy Burk
749 Stetson Road
Newport ME 04953
or email email@example.com